DBI Gas- und Umwelttechnik GmbH was created in 1991 from the gas technology departments of the Deutsches Brennstoff Institut (DBI). Gas-specific research and development in Freiberg has a long history.
The first facilities were those of Wilhelm August Lampadius. From 1794 to 1842 Lampadius was Professor of chemistry and metallurgy in Freiberg. DBI was established by the Bergakademie Freiberg in 1965 in order to combine research and development in the field of fossil fuels. From 1966 onwards, the gas sector was represented by its own department. Its main activities were tasks concerning the promotion and production as well as distribution and utilization of gaseous fuels. The planning, preparation and operation of underground gas storage facilities were also coordinated at DBI.